Where did you start?

That is probably one of the most asked questions I get. Truth is, I was always different so it started for me as far back as I can remember. When I was in my 20's I really started delving into the craft and picked up some essential books that really sent me on my way. Here's a short list of books I suggest for those of you just starting in the Craft:

1.) "Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs" by Scott Cunningham. One of my personal favorites and the first book I purchased. It explains the herb along with hand drawn images of the herb for identification. It gives you ideas of what you can use for different spells and explains in simple English the magical preparation for an herbal spell. A must for beginner witches interested in herbal magick or Hedge witchery.

2.) "The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews" by Scott Cunningham. Again one of my favorites. So many useful recipes and how to use the energy from the different elements. A true gem if you are interested in magical Alchemy. Think of it as the grimoire from Severus Snape's Potion class without the sexy scowl.

3.) "Healing with the Angels" oracle cards by Doreen Virtue, Ph. D - They were my introduction into the world of Divination. Beautiful illustrations and clear meanings. I grew up in a VERY Christian household so the use of tarot seemed almost taboo to me even tho I was drawn to it. They are a great place to start if you are "apprehensive" to use tarot or other divination tools.

That's where I started. Simply. 

Later I branched out into other authors like Christopher Penczak, Raven Grimassi, John Michael Greer and so many others. I didn't stop at traditional witchcraft either. I've got books on Santeria, Voodoo, Hoodoo, a vintage book on Black Magic - one of the most wonderful treasures, American Indian lore, Animal spirits, Ghosts and Angels, Psychic Development, countless books on crystals, the list goes on. I'm an Eclectic witch and enjoy learning all I can from multiple places. I learn as much as I can from each culture, their deities, rituals, and practices before performing anything out of my "normal" culture. It's respectful and necessary for successful spells. Example: An American witch is going to use an herb differently than a Italian or African practitioner, simply because of the different spirits associated within each culture. Know your stuff!

After books comes practice. It's your time to explore and take your own journey into the unknown. Enjoy that journey.

And no, I'm not getting any kick backs from any of these suggestions, they are just some of the things that helped me along my Pagan path.

Please share in the comments where you started. What were some of your favorite tools?

That's it for now Witches! Have a magical day.
Audra

Image by John William Waterhouse "Destiny"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will you do a spell for me?

Protection from Evil Spirits and Ghosts

Two of my favorite Samhain Recipes