On being an Eclectic Witch

Being a Eclectic witch means you don't follow just one certain path. You choose to learn magical things from various cultures. Let's explore this idea. I'm as white as it gets - Scandinavian, blond (now grey) with blue eyes should I even attempt Hoodoo? Some would admittedly say NO, I don't have the right to do an African based magical system. Okay, I see your point, but what if their way of handling herbs and roots is of great interest to me as I work with the spirits of herbs/roots regularly in my practice? I start by respecting every aspect of their culture, deities and spirits and learn all I can before I attempt to use any herbs. I'm limited because there's no way for me to connect with their ancestors, but I want to learn all I can from the ones who can.

The way Voodoo and Hoodoo practitioners use the spirits of the herbs is far different then how, say, Cunningham would use them. Cunnigham is a bit "fluffy bunny", not all my magic is "fluffy and white", there's a balance. So to perform more grey or "black" magic I needed to go elsewhere for my information. The black magic books I found dealt with spirits/angels/deities/sigils/written spells more than herbs, incense and oils. Where that has it's place, it didn't help me much. I picked up a book called "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" and by Catherine Yronwode. It had what I wanted - BALANCE! It had the "light and dark" aspect of each herb. Then I picked up "The Red Folder: Private Lessons of the Practice of Hoodoo" by Catherine Yronwode and "Hoodoo: Mojo's African Magic Book, 1" by Monique Joiner Siedlak. Then I picked up more books on Hoodoo and Voodoo. The idea is - don't just pick up one little book and think it's going to be fine to use the spirits/energy of another culture in your magic without building knowledge and a relationship with them. 

All successful magic begins with a relationship between you and the spirits/energy of what ever your using be it herbs, oils, incense, sigils, yarn, deities, you get the idea. You wouldn't go up to a total stranger and ask for a favor and expect to receive it, would you? Now, go ask a good friend, that you've built a relationship with and it comes more easily, yes? Build that relationship!

So being Eclectic really means - learning all you can about the culture of magic you are interested in. All it offers, how it differs, where it came from and most importantly how it applies or doesn't to your own magical practices. 

 

That's it for my ramblings for this Moonday.

Enjoy your path and go create magic!

Audra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make a Witches Poppet

Protection from Evil Spirits and Ghosts

Two of my favorite Samhain Recipes