Does my first tarot deck need to be given to me?

Happy New Year, Witches! Now that the holidays are over I can get back to writing in this blog. 
One question that comes up a lot is "Does my first tarot deck need to be given to me?", the simple answer is - No, of course not. If there's a certain tarot or oracle deck calls to you, buy it.
So where did this idea of being gifted a tarot deck come from? I have seen many theories on the matter and the most common is this: tarot decks were once very hard to come by. Tarot decks weren't mass printed like they are now. If someone was lucky enough to own or make their own deck, it would be passed down like a valuable jewel. Therefore "gifting" it to another. This made them very special and some would say even more powerful and reliable. Many believed the "spirit" that helped their ancestor would come with the given deck and would help them as well. Rare decks would be handed down through many generations of careful readers. Over time this tradition morphed into the superstition that we hear of today. 
The best rule of thumb is this: If you can't stop thinking about a deck, buy it. If you feel a pull toward a certain deck, buy it. If you love the art, buy it. It's truly up to you. You know your energy, you know what you like and are drawn too. 
Did I buy my first deck? You bet I did. It was Healing with the Angels oracle cards by Doreen Virtue. See, I was always told that tarot and oracle decks were the "devil's tools", so I eased into divination. Now, 60 decks later I've become an avid collector. Many have been given to me and I've bought several. Do the one's that are given to me work better? Not necessarily, some do, some don't. It's all about connecting with the deck.
Now, go buy that deck and enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will you do a spell for me?

Protection from Evil Spirits and Ghosts

How to make a Witches Poppet